Tuition fees for private schools - tax deductions and credits

Tuition fees for private schools - tax deductions and credits

Private school fees can be a significant financial burden for families.

However, certain tax deductions and credits are available for parents who pay private school tuition fees in Canada.

In this context, we will explore the tax benefits associated with private school tuition fees, including the eligibility criteria and the deductions and credits available for medical necessities, charitable contributions, and childcare expenses.

Charity: parents of students attending private schools that provide academic and religious education, such as Christian, Catholic, Jewish, or Islamic schools, may be eligible to claim a tax credit for tuition fees as a charitable donation. The available credit amount varies across provinces but can be substantial. Certain schools are registered as charities or affiliated with registered charitable organizations that provide tax benefits. It is advisable to verify with the school whether tuition fees are segregated and if tax receipts are issued for this purpose.

Medical: if a child requires a private school education for medical reasons, such as having special needs like a learning disability, physical disability, or advanced learning abilities that necessitates the use of the school's facilities, equipment, or staff, parents may be able to claim tuition fees as a medical expense tax credit. It is essential to have written support from a physician to substantiate the claim.

Child care: fees paid towards childcare services for students under the age of 16 in private schools may be deductible as a child care expense. The deductible amount is calculated based on the portion of the day dedicated to supervision, rather than academic instruction, such as during lunchtime supervision in preschools like for example Montessori.

“Please note that the information provided in this article is of a general nature and may not be accurate for your specific situation. The information is current as of the date of posting and is not intended to provide legal advice. It's always recommended that you consult with a professional accountant and lawyer for personalized guidance and advice."